Are you a Grinder?
Feeling stressed lately? Waking up to a sore jaw? You may be grinding your teeth at night. Ask Dr. Love about options to reduce your stress. Exercising, seeing a physical therapist, or obtaining a prescription for muscle relaxants are among some of the options that may be offered.
Additionally, Dr. Love can fit you with a mouth guard to protect your teeth during sleep. Mouth guards are coverings worn over teeth, and often used to protect teeth from injury from teeth grinding and during sports.
Tips to help prevent teeth grinding include:
- Avoid foods and drinks that contain caffeine, such as cola, chocolate, and coffee.
- Avoid alcohol
- Avoid or find the lowest effective dose for medications containing amphetamines use in treating ADHD and sleep disorders.
- Do not chew on pencils or pens or anything that is not food.
- Train yourself not to clench or grind your teeth.
- Relax your jaw muscles at night by holding a warm washcloth against your cheek in front of your earlobe.